SLS are always recruiting host families for our various programmes.
What is expected from the Host Family?
SLS are delighted you are interested in becoming an SLS host family.
Students should be made feel welcome and safe in your home and should be treated as part of the family. Treat the students as you would treat your own children and how you would like your children to be treated if they were living in someone else’s home. In particular, the students should be included in family activities and special occasions. Students are encouraged not to stay in their bedroom for long periods of time and to spend time with your family instead. Mealtimes are family occasions and students should not eat alone – mealtimes play a vital role in the development of each student both linguistically and culturally. Please talk to the students and encourage them to speak English. In this way friendships will develop, and the students will enjoy the Irish traditional family experience.
Become an SLS Host Family
- Complete SLS Online Application Form
- SLS Accommodations Officer will be in contact to give you more information on SLS and its programmes as well as arranging a visitation.
- On visiting your house SLS’s accommodations officer will supply you with the necessary host family guidelines as well as Garda Vetting forms. All members of your household over the age of 16 require Garda Vetting.
- On the successful return of your Garda Vetting certificates you will be registered on SLS’s Host Family Database.
- Once you are registered as an SLS Host Family we will contact you (by phone or email) when we require student placements.